Monday 5 May 2008

Five in row for Kerry?

Kerry for five in a row, that's what the man who was two minutes away from it in 1982 Mick O'Dwyer reckons about the current Kingdom squad.
Micko believes that the current squad has the talent to do what even his great side couldn't and there was no better side ever in Gaelic football than O'Dwyer's.
O'Dwyer believes that the current side is a great team but he also feels there is more to come from the All-Ireland winning Under 21s.
Five in a row is a mountain to climb but given that Kerry have already two under their belt without really having a fight for them apart from last year's Monaghan game they are clear favourites this year.
O'Dwyer doesn't see any real challengers from Ulster and Leinster and I have to agree much though it pains me to say it about my home province.
Tyrone and Armagh are past their best although I think they will come again and I think Tyrone could be a real threat again if even a couple of the young players Mickey Harte has nurtured finally deliver the goods.
Although he has lost some irreplaceable players since 2005, Canavan and O'Neill in particular but also Cavlan and Dooher for all intents and purposes, Tyrone are one of the counties which puts a lot of work into underage players.
Armagh are at this stage hard to beat but no more, they still have some wonderful players but not enough of them and they will struggle on the big day against a fast team.
Derry will of course take much from their National League win but I think they are predictable and anyone who does their homework on the supply to Paddy Bradley will see them off.
I don't see anything in Leinster capable of winning an All Ireland and I think that the Dubs and Meath made life a lot tougher for themselves with the silly suspensions.
I didn't believe they were good enough anyway but the Parnell Park 'brawl' for me was the final nail in their coffin. Even though they will have the players back for the key part of the championship preparations will be disrupted.
I think Kerry are streets ahead of Cork, no matter who manages them, and for me Galway and Mayo will be there or thereabouts but will come up short.
I can't see past the Kingdom because of their strength in depth and O'Dwyer's right in this sense, if they pull off a three in a row, the first since the last hurrah of O'Dwyer's 1984-'86 side, then there will be a huge momentum behind them for a four in a row and then anything's possible.
This prospect certainly puts it up to the rest of the country and I hope they will respond even if I can't see it happen this year.

No comments: