Monday 5 May 2008

Grumpy Old Man on Women's game?

I watched bits and pieces of the Women's, Ladies just doesn't float my boat, National Football League final yesterday between Cork and Kerry and while I found it mildly entertaining I have to be honest and admit that women's football just won't do it for me unless one of my daughters ever pulls on the boots for Ardoyne.
I have always been a big supporter of women's and girls football even when it was regarded as sacrilege by our camogs and I want our association to be as inclusive as possible but the pace of the game at the top level just doesn't hold my interest.
Some of the football played is top class, the passing at times and score taking is as good as anything you see in the men's game but it always strikes me like training ground football, a bit like the Leinster championship I suppose where it's all very open but lacks the bite.
When the matches are live I find myself drifting in and out of the room but I don't think I have yet managed to watch a women's match from start to finish.
Am I just being a grumpy old man or does anyone else feel like this about the women's game?

No comments: