Tuesday 22 April 2008

League final latest victim of TV schedules

The National League final has become the latest casualty of the TV schedulers with a 2.15pm throw-in for the Division One decider between Kerry and Derry.
This early start isn't actually too bad but the earlier start of 12.30 for the Division 3 decider at Parnell Park between Wexford and Fermanagh is tough on the supporters of the two sides.
Both sets of fans have around a two-hour trip to the match and the timing of the fixture does put the 'importance' of the game in context because at the end of the day it is a meaningless game as no one will ever remember the year Fermanagh or Wexford played in the Division 3 final.
I find the Divisional play-offs an utter nonsense unless it involves a promotion issue.
For Wexford it will be a reminder that only three to four years ago, told you I can't even remember what year it was despite being at the game, they were in the league final with Armagh, quite a come down.
So despite my reservations about the GAA switching the times of its games to suit the TV stations, I think that the decision in this case is entirely sensible.
Many GAA people will want to see how Munster fare in the European semi final and I think the decision to bring the league finals forward is recognition that we are an integral part of Irish sporting life but we are not an island.
I would be watching the league final regardless but I will now enjoy I hope the Munster game while we are at it.

No comments: