Monday 14 April 2008

Tommy Murphy dead and buried!

The Tommy Murphy Cup has been pronounced dead by GAA President Nicky Brennan.
An t-Uachtarán was speaking after the vote to allow Division 4 sides the opportunity to play in the All-Ireland qualifiers once they are eliminated from the provincial championships.
I have to say I see no merit at all in letting the worst sides in the country back into the All Ireland and Nicky Brennan and Pauric Duffy are right in that the decision will make it almost impossible to play the secondary competition because of a fixture pile up and the knock-on effect on club games.
To be honest, I'm no fan of the Tommy Murphy or Christy Ring competitions, no one ever remembers who won them, no one is really that interested in playing in them and even when my own county played in the final last year I didn't even watch the match on TV.
Personally I'd rather watch paint dry than the Tommy Murphy final, so if it goes for its tea then I won't be shedding any tears for it.

No comments: